Important - for Senior Citizens :- From 1st September 2001 onwards, concession to senior citizens through PRS (Passenger Reservation System) shall be granted only on demand and not by default as at present. The demand for concession shall be made on Reservation Requisition form in the case of reserved tickets. In the case of tickets issued to senior citizens on concession, during journey the concerned passengers are instructed to carry some documentary proof showing their age or date of birth, issued by any Government Institution/Agency/Local Body. like Identity card, Driving License, Passport, Educational certificate, certificate from Local Bodies like Panchayat/Corporation/Municipality, or any other authentic and recognised document. This documentary proof of age should be produced if demanded by some Railway official during the journey.
General Conditions :- The Railway Administration reserves seats, berths, compartments, or carriage in accordance with the rules and conditions published in the Coaching Tariff. A passenger seeking reservation of berth or seats should purchase tickets from the Railway Reservation Offices/Authorised Travel Agency only.
Advance reservations are made generally up to 60 days in advance for all classes and all trains. The period of advance reservation (ARP) is exclusive of the day of departure of the train.
At intermediate stations where the train arrives on the following day, such reservations can be done more than 60 days in advance of date of journey from the intermediate station. ARP is in relation to the date of journey from train originating station. In case of some Inter-city day trains, the ARP is less.
An individual can book only up to six passengers on one requisition form provided all passengers are for the same destination and for the same train.
Only one requisition form is accepted from a person at one time. However, if onward/return journey are involved, 2 or 3 forms can be accepted for the same passengers.
Accommodation will not be reserved without purchase of necessary journey ticket. No reservation of accommodation will be made on provisional basis.
When berths are reserved for passengers, the intention is to provide sleeping accommodation between 9 PM to 6 AM. During 6 AM to 9 PM, the passengers concerned, if required make room for other passengers in compartment up to its carrying capacity.
Passengers are requested to quote PNR number which is printed on each tickets on the top left hand side for any enquiry or complaint relating to reservations.
Reservation ticket issued by the computerised system against pre-bought ticket must be accompanied by the journey tickets on train. Similarly journey cum reservation tickets bearing zero amount are not valid for journey unless accompanied by the valid authority to travel authorising issue of such tickets.
Allotment of accommodation is done by the computer as per pre-defined logic. Efforts are made to provide compact accommodation to persons booked under the same PNR on first come first served basis.
The Railway Administration will endeavour to provide reserved accommodation but does not guarantee the same and will admit no claim for compensation for inconvenience, loss or extra expense due to such accommodation including carriages, not being provided or reserved carriage not been attached to a particular train. The supply of any particular type of carriage or the provision of a particular berth and seat is also not guaranteed.
Departure time printed on the ticket is indicative for the guidance of the passengers. Passengers must ascertain correct timings from the Railway station on the day of journey. Such tickets are printed up to 60 days in advance. Any changes in timing after the issue of ticket can not be advised.
While every endeavour is made to advise changes in Time Table by due publicity, Railway Administration shall not be liable for any claim/compensation if a passenger misses a train on this account.
TRANSFER/RESALE OF TICKETS PROHIBITED :- Under Section 142 of the Railways ACT, journey tickets including any half of a return ticket and season ticket are not transferable.
If any person not being a Railway Servant or an agent authorised in this behalf :
- sells or attempts to sell any ticket or any half of a return ticket, or
- parts or attempts to part with the possession of a ticket against which reservation of a seat or a berth has been made or any half of a return ticket or season ticket. He shall be punishable under the Railways Act.
In addition, if the purchaser or holder of transferred ticket travels or attempts to travel therewith, he shall forfeit the ticket which he so purchased or obtained and shall be deemed to be travelling without a proper ticket.
PAYMENT THROUGH CREDIT CARDS :- Payment through credit cards for issue of reserved tickets is accepted on some nominated counters of computerised locations in India. In Northern Railway these counters are at IRCA, Reservation Office, New Delhi, Delhi Jn., Sarojini Nagar, Kirti Nagar and Karkadooma and the computerised reservation office, Lucknow .
All Master Cards and Visa Cards are accepted.
RESERVATION FEE AND SUPPLEMENTARY CHARGES ON SUPERFAST TRAINS :- The reservation fee and supplementary charge on superfast train are as under :-
SUPPLEMENTARY CHARGES FOR SUPERFAST TRAINS
AC 2 Tier
AC - 3 Tier
AC Chair Car
Second Sitting (Mail/Express)
Second Sitting (Ordinary)
REVISION OF RESERVATION FEE:
- The cluster stations definition is now suspended.
- The system of issuing BPTs(Blank Paper Tickets) is now disabled.
1. For travel by all trains except Rajdhani,Shatabdi and Jan Shatabdi Express trains,the revised reservation fee,leviable on tickets booked for journeys originating from other then the ticket booking station is shown below.
Existing Reservation Fee
Enhanced Reservation Fee for journeys originating from a station other than the one from where ticket has been issued
AC 2 Tier
AC - 3 Tier
AC Chair Car
2. For travel by Rajdhani,Shatabdi and Jan Shatabdi Express trains,also ,the increase in reservation Fee will be applicable on ticket issued for journeys originating from other than the ticket booking stations.
The additional reservation fee for such tickets,to be addedd additional in the basic fares shown in Passenger Fare Table,is shown below :
Additional reservation fee to be charged in total chargeable fares
Rajdhani Express trains
AC Chair Car
Shatabdi Express trains
AC Chair Car
Jan Shatabdi Express trains
- Military Officers travelling on free warrants, officers and staff of the Railway and P&T department travelling on Railway passes and MPs travelling on Identity Card are exempted from payment of reservation fee.
- The supplementary charge is not recoverable from MPs travelling on Identity Card, tourist holding Indrail passes, Railway Staff travelling on duty passes, privilege passes and PTOs.
- A passenger found travelling in a Super Fast Train without paying supplementary charge is liable to pay a penalty of Rs. 50/- in addition to the supplementary charge. However, passenger holding through ticket duly fulfilling distance restriction and boarding a superfast train at an intermediate station as per the ticket, is required to pay only the supplementary charge.
INDICATION OF BERTH/SEAT NUMBERS :- Passengers with confirmed reservation will be allotted berths at the time of booking and the coach and berth numbers are indicated on the ticket itself, except in case of first class ACC and first class coaches. The compartment/cabin/coupe numbers for first ACC and first class are allotted at the time of chart preparation.
RESERVATION AGAINST CANCELLATION (R.A.C.) :- The passengers whose names figure under R.A.C., are provided reserved sitting accommodation initially and are likely to get berths becoming vacant due to last minutes cancellation of reservation of passengers not turning up in time before the departure of the train,.
WHEN RESERVATION WORK CEASES :- The requests for reservation at the reservation counters are accepted up to 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train, after which, the reservation will be done at the current counters at the stations up to one hour before the scheduled departure of the train and thereafter by the Ticket Collector/Conductor on the platform, if vacant berths/seats are available.
RESERVATION FROM INTERMEDIATE STATIONS :- (a) Requisition for reservation of berths in all classes from intermediate stations not having computerised reservation facility are entertained on purchase of journey tickets only. Such requisition should be given to the Station Master of the Intermediate station 72 hours before the scheduled departure of the train from the station. Such application shall be sent to the nearest computerised reservation office at the earliest.
CANCELLATION OF RESERVATION DUE TO LATE ARRIVAL OF PASSENGER :- If a passenger, for whom a berth or seat has been reserved, does not turn up up to 10 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train, the Railway Administration may cancel the accommodation reserved for him and allot it to the passenger on the RAC list/Waiting list accordingly on priority.
CHANGE OF BOARDING POINT :- If a passenger desires to occupy reserved accommodation from any station enroute, he would be permitted to entrain at any intermediate station he chooses irrespective of the distance from the starting station subject to the following conditions :-
- A specific request must be made in writing at the station from where the ticket is purchased and reservation made atleast 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the train from the starting station.
- The Railway Administration reserves the right to use such accommodation from the originating station up to the station at which the passenger is due to entrain.
- No refund will be permissible for the portion of journey not performed by the passenger.
Click here for NEW RULES
Revision of rules for postponement and preponement of journey appearing
(The revised rule as mentioned below will come into effect on 20.1.2006)
POSTPONEMENT OF JOURNEY
213.9 Postponement or preponement on a reserved, RAC or waitlist ticket-
213.9 Postponement or preponement a reserved, RAC or waitlist ticket-
(1) Postponement of journey on reserved, RAC or waitlisted ticket shall be allowed in the same class in any other train on the same day or any subsequent day if
(1) Postponement of journey:
a) the ticket is presented during working hours of the reservation office and at least 24 hours before the schedule departure of the train in which reservation has been made and;
(a) Confirmed Ticket:- Postponment of journey on confirmed tickets shall be allowed in the same or any higher class' by any subsequent train on the same or any subsequent day, for same or any longer destination, provided that:-
(b) accommodation is available in the train in which reservation is required.
(i) confirmed or RAC or waiting list accommodation is available in the train in which fresh reservation is required.:-
(ii) fresh reservation fee for the class for which reservation is required is paid, in case oft tickets surrendered during working hours and at least 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the train in which originally booked;
(iii) 25% fare of already booked ticket is paid as cancellation charges, in case of tickets surrendered during working hours and within 24 hrs and 4 hours before schedule departure of the train in which originally booked;
(iv) 50% fare of already booked ticket is paid as cancellation charges, in case of tickets surrendered during working hours and with in 4 hours before schedule departure and up the maximum time limits mentioned in rule 213.6(i)(c) (i.e 3/6/12 hours, depending on distance.) after actual departure of the train in which originally booked;
(b) RAC & WAITLISTED TICKETS: Postponment of journey on RAC and waitlisted tickets shall be allowed in same or higher class, by any subsequent train on the same or any subsequent day, for same or any longer destination, provided that-
(i) confirmed or RAC or waiting list accommodation is available in the train in which fresh reservation is required;
(ii) ticket is surrendered during working hours and up to the maximum time limits mentioned in rule 213.6 (i) (c) ,(i.e. 3/6/12 hours depending on distance) after actual departure of the train in which originally:-
(iii) clerkage charge is paid;
PREPONEMENT OF JOURNEY
(2) Preponement of journey on reserved, RAC or waitlisted ticket shall be allowed in the same class by any earlier train on the same day or any earlier day, if;
(2) Preponement of journey : Preponement of journey on confirmed, RAC & waitlisted tickets shall be allowed in the same or any higher class ,by any earlier train on the same day or any earlier day, for same or any longer destination, provided that
(a) the ticket is surrendered during the working hours of reservation office and at least 6 hrs before the scheduled departure of the train in which reservation is required and,
(a) confirmed or RAC or waiting list accommodation is available in the train in which fresh reservation is required;
(b) accommodation is available in the train in which reservation is required.”
(b) ticket is surrendered during working hours of reservation office and at least 6 hrs before scheduled departure of the train in which reservation is required or before preparation of reservation chart, which ever is later;
(c) fresh reservation fee for the class for which reservation is required is paid, in case of
preponement on confirmed tickets and
(d) clerkage charge is paid, in case of preponement on RAC & wait listed ticket;
Conditions for modification of journey
Explanation: In case there is a difference of fares between the class of a train on which the ticket was originally reserved and the same class of the other train on which the postponement or preponement is provided, the change of reservation shall be made subject to refund or recovery of the difference, as the case may be
(3) If there is difference in fares for originally booked journey and revised journey the difference of fare shall be refunded or recovered, as the case may subject to the provisions of rule 213.9(1)& (2) above.
(3) Postponement or Preponement of journey under sub-rule (1) or sub-rule(2) shall be allowed only once, without levying any cancellation charges but on payment of:-
(4) Postponement or Preponement of journey under the above sub-rules shall be allowed only once.
(a) fresh reservation fee, in the case of reserved ticket, and
(5) The postponement/preponement of normal train ticket journeys will not be applicable against Tatkal Quota eve on payment of Tatkal charges.
(b) clerkage, in the case of RAC and waitlisted ticket.
Refund on cancellations of modified ticket.
(4) If the ticket on which journey has been altered under sub-rule (1) or sub-rule (2), is cancelled, cancellation charges shall be payable as follows;-
(6) If the ticket, on which journey has been alerted under the above sub-rules ,is cancelled, cancellation charges shall be payable as follows:-
(a) cancellation charge as may be due if the original reservation had been cancelled at the time when the postponement or preponement of reservation was allowed and.
(a) cancellation charge as would have been due if the ticket for original reservation had been cancelled at the time of postponement /preponement of journey,
(b) cancellation charges due in respect of the altered reservation as if this altered reservation is a fresh reservation.
(b) cancellation charges due in respect of ticket for alerted reservation as if this alerted reservation is fresh reservation.
(c) in cases where 25% or 50% cancellation charges were realized at the time of modification of journey, the cancellation charges mentioned in (a) shall not be levied again and the cancellation charges mentioned in (b) only shall be levied"
EXCLUSIVE ACCOMMODATION FOR LADIES : One compartment of the lowest class of accommodation is earmarked for ladies in every passenger carrying train. Some berths/Seats in sleeper class / second seats are also earmarked for ladies at the train originating station.
Any male passenger found occupying or attempting to occupy such a carriage or compartment shall be liable to be prosecuted apart from being removed from the compartment.
Boys under 12 years of age may travel in a ladies compartment with relatives or friends.