RULES FOR LUGGAGE
Luggage which is not fully and legibly addressed in English or Hindi will not be accepted for booking and carriage by train. Luggage which is not securely packed will not be accepted for booking and carriage unless the sender or his authorized agent executes a forwarding note and record there in such defects or improper packing. Luggage which is required to travel by the same train with the owner should be presented at the luggage office of the booking station at least 30 minutes before the advertised departure time of the train . Passengers booking their accommodation in advance are permitted to book their luggage in advance at the same time. Bulky surcharge is applicable only on package weighing above 100 kgs or exceeding 1m*1m*0.7m in outside measurement. Package s exceeding any one of the dimension specified will be treated as bulky even though the actual weight is less than 100 kgs on volu-metric basis. However if one of the dimension is exceeded by 10% of the prescribed measurement but weight is within 100 kgs., on volumetric basis, it will not be treated as bulky. Bulky surcharge will be levied at double the normal rate.
Offensive articles, explosive, dangerous, inflammable articles and empty gas cylinders, dead poultry, and game, acids and other corrosive substance are not permitted to be booked as luggage.
Trunks, suitcase and boxes having outside measurement of 100 cms. x 60 cms x 25 cms (length x breadth x height) will be allowed to be carried in the passenger compartments as personal luggage. If the trunks, suitcase, and boxes, which in outside measurement exceed any one of the dimension, such articles are required to be booked and carried in the brake van and not in the passengers' compartment . Maximum size of the trunks/suitcase than can be carried in the AC-3 tire and AC chair Car compartment is 55 cmsx45 cms x 22.5 cms.
Oxygen cylinder with its supporting stand with patients under medical certificate can be permitted to be carried in all classes. Free allowance of luggage will be granted on oxygen cylinder and its supporting stand.
Merchandized items are not permitted for booking and carriage in the compartment as personal luggage.
Luggage of larger dimension are to be carried only by brake van . The minimum charge for luggage is Rs.30.
As per instructions, there is no restriction on carriage of luggage in brake van of passenger trains as far as quantity and type (personal or merchandise) of luggage offered for booking is concerned .However, the excess luggage in owner's charge beyond the free allowance is charged at 1.5 times the rates under scale-L.
// Each passenger is allowed a free allowance upto which he can carry luggage with him in the compartment, free of cost. The free allowance varies for different classes of travel. Children aged 5 and below 12 years are allowed half of the free allowance subject to the maximum of 50 Kgs. You are also permitted a marginal allowance. there is a maximum ceiling on the luggage which can be carried inside the compartment for each class. These are indicated in the table below : -//
The following maximum limit free allowance, marginal allowance are admissible for carriage of luggage in the compartment :-
Maximum quantity permitted ( including free allowance)
AC First Class
AC 2-Tier sleeper/First class
AC 3-tier sleeper/AC chair car
The maximum limit includes free allowance.
Passenger are allowed to book and carry excess luggage beyond the free allowance with them in the compartment up to the maximum limit as per class mentioned above on payment of charge at 1.5 times of luggage rate.
When a passenger is detected either en route or at the destination with un booked or partially booked luggage weighing more than the free allowance, the excess un booked weight exceeding free allowance of luggage is charged at six times the luggage scale rate instead of 6 times of scale -R as earlier. However, if un booked or partially booked luggage is detected more than the free allowance of then luggage but within the marginal allowance, it is charged at 1.5 times the luggage scale rate . when a passenger is detected either en route or at destination with un booked or partially booked luggage weighing more than the maximum limit permitted the excess weight exceeding free allowance of luggage is charged at six times of the luggage scale rate subject to a minimum of Rs.50/-.
Luggage beyond the above quantity can be booked in advance and carried in brake Van.
If your luggage marginally exceeds the free allowance, you will be charged at the normal luggage rates applicable to your class of travel. Above marginal allowance penalty will be charged ,If detected . Make sure to book your excess luggage in the luggage office, pay the prescribed charges and get your tickets endorsed by cross-referencing the luggage ticket details, before commencing your journey. Free allowance is not admissible for articles such as scooters, cycles etc.
LUGGAGE GETS STOLEN EN ROUTE -
IN case of theft of luggage, robbery / dacoity in running trains, you can approach train conductors/coach attendant/guards or GRP escort. They will give you the FIR Forms ,which may be duly filled in and handed over to them. The complaint will then be forwarded to the Police Station for necessary action. You need not break your Journey to lodge a complaint with the police .you can also approach the RPF Assistance Posts at major railway stations, for any assistance in lodging the complaint.
LUGGAGE IS LOST OR DAMAGE -
Where value of the luggage booked has not been declared beforehand by the consignor and the prescribing percentage charge not paid the monetary liability of the railways has been limited to Rs. 100/- per Kg. However, where the consignor has declared the value of the consignment and has also paid percentage charges, he will be entitled to get the claimed amount which will not exceed the value of the luggage so declared at the time of booking . The procedure of payment of percentage charge can be enquired from the luggage booking office.
THEFT OF LUGGAGE -
· A prescribed FIR Form in English, Hindi and regional Language is available in the Timetable or with 'TTEs/Guards or GRP escort. After filling it up, the form may be handed over to one of the official viz., TTE, Guard or GRP escort for registration of the report at the next police station.
· All at the above services and commitments will be honored without the citizens' having to pay any bribe
RULES FOR CARRYING PETS,DOGS,HORSES OTHER LIVE ANIMALS AND BIRDS Risk:-
(1) Under section 77-A of the Indian Railway Act,the liability of Railways as carriers of animals is limited as specfied below,unless the sender elects to pay the percentage charge on value as shown in the Rule 1301:- Per Head Elephants Rs.1500/- Horses Rs.750/- Mules,Camels or Horned Cattle Rs.200/- Donkeys,sheep,goats,dogs and other animals or birds Rs.30/-
(2) The sender or his authorized agent is required to declare the value of each animal on the Forwarding Note when the value of an animal exceeds the amount specified above.The sender or his authorised agentmust also record in the Forwarding Note whether he engages to pay the notified percentage charge on value.Should he elect no to pay the notified percentage value on value,the animal will be accepted for carriage under the terms and conditions of Section 77-A of Indian Railway Act.
(3) The Railway will not be liable for the loss,destruction or damage arising from freight or restiveness of the animal or from overloading of vehicle or wagon by the consigner or his agent or delay not caused by the negligence or misconduct of their servants,irrespective of whether the sender has engaged to pay the percentage charge on value or not.
(4) Railway will not be responsible for the loss,destruction,damage, deterioration or non_delivery of animals after the termination of transit as defined in Rule 153.
RULE AND RATES FOR CONVEYANCE OF DOGS:
(1) Dogs when carried in the break-van and/or A.C.C. and first class passenger compartments will be charged for at Scale 'L'(luggage Rates)on the basis of weights indicated below, subject to a minimum charge of Rs.10/- per dog, charges being Prepaid:- When carried in break_van (Dog-Box) 30 Kgs When carried in passengers compartments 60 Kgs "Seeing Eye" dog travelling with a blind person in the compartment (First class) will, however, be charged the same tariff as for dogs carried in brake_van. The dogs must be provided with Collars and Chains.Owners should make their own arrangements for food and water for the dog during the journey. Dogs detected unbooked will be charged at six times the Luggage Scale Rate subject to a minimum of Rs.50/-
(2) A passenger travelling in First Aircondition class or first class may take a dog into the compartment only with the concurrence of fellow passengers on payment of charges vide Clause(1) above.The charges are to be prepaid.If fellow passengers subsequently object to the dog remainig in the compartment,it will be removed to the Guard's van,no refund being given. Dogs detected unbooked with the passenger in IA and Ist class compartments will be charged six times the Luggage scale Rate subject to a minimum of Rs.50/-. A lady travelling alone with children under 12 years of age in a first class compartment may take with her in the compartment one dog on payment of charges at the Dog Box Rates,subject to a minimum of Rs.10/-provided that if another lady enters the compartment,the dog can only be allowed to remain in the compartment with her consent.Any dog detected unbooked will be charged at double the dog-box rate for the distance up to the point of detection and at the dog-box rate for the distance beyond the total charge being subject to a minimum of Rs.20/- for each dog.
(3) Dogs are not allowed to be carried in ACC Sleeper Coaches,Acc chair car coaches sleeper class and second class coaches.If a dog is found being carried in contravention of this rule,it will be removed immediately to the brake-van and charges will be levied six times the Luggage Scale Rate subject to a minimum of Rs.50/-
(4) Charge for dog carried in reserved compartments will be levied at the dog-box rate.Any dog tetected unbooked will be charged six times the Luggage Scale Rate subject to a minimum of Rs.50/-
(5) Large dogs which cannot be carried in the dog-box of a brake van will be carried in a special vehicle at the same rates and conditions as for horses.
Rules and rates for charging bicycles, tricycles motor bicycles and tricycles with auto-wheel attachments, side carts, go-carts, perambulators, rickshaws etc.